Standard Amber Powers
 Pattern Imprint
 Manipulate Probability
 Pattern Defense
Magic in Amber is a bit different from D&D. And, for those who have played Amber before, I run magic differently from how you may have seen it. I go for a lower-powered, grittier and more stylized version of magic than you get in the normal Amber rules.
Sorcery is different from the powers I described above in that it allows you a lot greater diversity. You can hurl fireballs, talk with spirits, fly or whatever. The drawback is that it generally takes longer to cast a spell with sorcery than use some innate magical ability.
Each sorcerer learns a school of magic, which determines the general thematic feel for how they approach their magic. There is very little you can do in one school of magic that you can’t accomplish in another school. So you may have a school of magic that works like alchemy and creates potions and elixirs that create certain effects. Another character might be have a druidic style of magic that revolves invoking nature spirits and controlling plants and animals.
Creating a magical effect can take a while. At least an hour, if not longer. You can prepare a single spell in advance (like memorizing a spell in D&D) and then release it when you need it. But you can only ready one spell that way, and if you fall asleep or get knocked unconscious, you lose that spell. There are a couple ways to get around that.
The first is that you can store a spell in a special item that will keep it fresher for longer. These items are called “spell racks” and can look like whatever. A ring, a staff, a penguin, etc. For 1 point the item can rack one spell. For 2 points the item can rack up to twelve spells. For 4 points you can rack 12 spells in the item and it will cast the spells for you.
Alternately, if you have “Enchantment” you can create single-use items that can replicate spell effects.
Psyche determines how powerful your spell is, and how well you can resist a spell. Warfare is important for ranged spells (or avoiding such). Endurance can also help you resist some spell effects or recover more quickly.
 Magical School
For clarification: Learning a Magical School means that you have been initiated into a school of magic. This means that you can sense and analyze magical effects. Cantrips represent “magic for beginners.” You can generate minor magical effects connected to your school. Spellcasting means you can cast spells. Enchantment means you can enchant an item. Rack spells means that you’ve learned how to store your spells in a special item.
 Additional Schools
This is your ability to change your physical form. This does not change your clothing. So if you turn into a wolf, your clothes may not fit.
I break shape shifting into two broad categories. The first is “archetypal forms” and the other is “physical sculpting.”
An archetypal form is often a drastic and radical shift from your standard form. Coherent light, living blizzards, pillars of flame, etc. You are not restricted by mass as much as you are with physical sculpting. You can become a dragon that is bigger than your normal form. Not much bigger, mind you, but bigger in general.
Physical sculpting means that you can rearrange your body. You are restricted to the same mass. You can become a hawk, but it’s a person-sized hawk. You can become a dog, but it’s a person-sized dog. You can become a mouse, but it’s a person-sized mouse.
 Shape Shifting Potential
Some things to note:
[5+] Archetypal Forms (cost varies depending on how powerful the form is. You can take this more than once.)
 Physical Sculpting: Shift Non-Facial Body Parts
 Shift Wounds
 Shapeshift Facial Features
 Shift to Animal Shapes
 Automatic Shape Shifting (w/ Involuntary Access to Primal Form)
 Voluntary Access to Primal Form
- Shape Shifting Potential has some benefits depending on who you’ve gained your shape shifting ability through.
- “Shift Body Parts” means you can change the shape of your body parts, but not grow new body parts. You can make your arms longer, you can make your nails tougher, but you can’t re-grow a missing limb or grow wings.
- Shift Wounds means you can will a wound to stay closed, but it requires your attention to keep it closed until it closes up naturally.
- Automatic Shape Shifting means that you allow your body to take over things. If you fall into a lake in a storm, you can let go of conscious control of your shape shifting so that your body will automatically adapt. This does not mean you will grow gills, but it will mean that your body will start to need less oxygen and will shift fat deposits to keep you from freezing. From there you can figure out some other way to keep from drowning.
- Your Primal Form is basically your body’s innate survival instinct made flesh. How it looks depends on your character’s needs for survival and his/her personality. Turning on Automatic Shapeshifting means that you risk entering your Primal Form involuntarily. Your need for survival may become so great that your subconscious mind takes over and you wake up some time later half naked on a rocky out-cropping. Safe, but vaguely confused.
 Trump Familiarity: You have a Trump Deck that you are very familiar with the use of. This is not a point-paid-for item that you can pull out of a tree when it becomes lost. It’s simply a deck that you’ve gotten very comfortable with. If you lose this deck, you must spend a while working on attuning yourself to a new deck. Not all abilities require that you use this deck. General use of this deck is faster than with a deck just picked up.
 Sense Trump Use
 Trump Caller ID (requires a Trump Deck)
 Trump Divination (requires a Trump Deck)
If you have some degree of Rebman heritage, either through Llewella or through children of a Rebman and another royal, you can spend 10 points to have the all-around underwater survival ability.
Another option for those of Rebman heritage. Though there are many Rebman sorcerers, they also have their own abilities that are a bit more useful abilities for use in the pelagic depths of their kingdom. Empathy allows them to sense and communicate with each other even in the cold darkness that you sometimes find in Rebma.
 Sense Psyche
Rebman Mirror Magic
 Recognize Auras
 Sense Surface Thoughts
 Empathic Probing
 Psychic Neutral
 Emotional Manipulation
 Psychic Communication
Within Rebma, the common form of communication is through enchanted mirrors. More experienced practitioners can make mirrors that are enchanted. This ability mainly allows you to sense mirrors that have been so enchanted and activate them for communication.
 Sense and Activate Mirror Enchantment